Sunday, October 30, 2016

Makin' It And Savin' It Sunday

Amazon is hiring 120,000 seasonal workers in 27 states and Penny Hoarder has an article all about it. We have a new fulfillment center right over the border in WI. It's about 20 minutes away. Wanna know a secret? These jobs aren't all they are cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, if you need a seasonal/part-time gig, try there just don't expect much. They put these poor suckers on 3 hour days, up to 7 days a week. Then they have them on-call for the entire season. They go in for a few hours, drive home(the plant isn't in a heavy populated area.) and then get called back in if there is more work. The closer to Christmas they get, the more hours they can have but can't get full-time hours.
The people making the real money are the surrounding houses that rent out rooms to them. It's too expensive to keep driving back and forth so they find a cheap room to rent. Doesn't that seem like it would negate working there?
Have you ever worked a seasonal job? Have you ever worked a crap job? I worked at Kirby in high school, it was misery. Have you ever rented out a room? Have you ever found a way to profit off of your location?
No location,
Sonya Ann

9 comments:

Cheapchick said...

A lot of people who live full-time in their RVs go for those seasonal Amazon jobs, Amazon even as campgrounds specifically for them. Unfortunately, as long as people are willing to work under those conditions employers get away with it.

Janie Junebug said...

I've never had a seasonal job. I don't see the point in getting a job if I'd use up all the pay to rent a room. I've never rented out a room and wouldn't care to have a stranger live in my house. I don't know of any reason that I'd profit from my location. You better believe I worked at a crap job--a high school. Some of the students threatened me. It was sad because the students who wanted to please me and learn from me didn't have the opportunity to do so.

Love,
Janie

SAM said...

They have ads on the radio-doesn't sound like seasonal. Maybe a decent option for college kids if they can car pool but the one in Minnesota isn't close to any schools. I detailed corn as a teen. My kids have worked bev carts at golf clubs.

SAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

There is an Amazon distribution center a few miles from me. Have never heard anything bad about working there, but seasonal work is different than full time work so it doesn't surprise me the way Amazon does it. In college I worked seasonal holiday jobs for Macy's and J.C.Penny. No different than what you described.

As for crappy jobs, one summer after my sophomore year in college I got a job at a place at the beach making funnel cakes, cotton candy and fresh lemonade. Only worked their a week before I got another job as a waitress in a restaurant. Way better. And during my junior year I needed money so I got a job at some factory punching out the plastic panels for inside the doors of pickup trucks - 3pm to 11pm. The worst, most monotonous job ever. I also did customer service for a water company one summer - not good that I was telling people that if they didn't want to pay for their water, they better start digging!

-DeeCee

Elephant's Child said...

I have had plenty of crappy jobs. End of lease cleaning for an estate agent was right up there. People who had skipped out without paying the rent, and left the houses in an appalling state. Crap was definitely involved. Human and animal.

Linda said...

Before marriage and when in college, I worked at TG&Y full time. Then, after I had a baby, I worked a fulltime seasonal job at Sears and TG&Y. I worked five days a week for both for two months! I told them when could work and both hired me. I worked from 9 am to 9 pm, driving between jobs and eating on the run. I loved both jobs. As we moved about, I worked seasonal work at Sears.

My crap seasonal job was Christmas at Dillards! That was the place where I was injured twice and gained so much weight from immobility.

I rented a room twice and got alcoholics both times! Horrendous!

The profit I have from my location is that everything is close. My mortgage payment was low. I could walk to places before everything moved out to edge of town. Still, driving a three mile loop gets me everywhere I want to be most weeks.
pparsimony

Michelle said...

Amazon is close to us and now the RV seasonal employees have starting setting up camp around certain areas. Haven't heard anything bad about our Amazon, other than it is typical seasonal stuff.

شركة ضي الرحمن said...

Company combating insects brass skirt